brooklyndodgermemories

Hosted by freeforums.org
 Arcade • Chat •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>brooklyndodgermemories</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Bobo Newsom : Baseball's Traveling Man
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:23 am 

A recent addition to my baseball library, "Bobo Newsom : Baseball's Traveling Man" by Jim McConnell is an interesting read on probably the most well travelled major leaguer in history. Bobo's major league career ended the year I was born however I've always been curious as to how someone could be moved so much. My main interest was due to the fact that Bobo spent 5 different stints with the Washington Senators (1935 - 1937, 1942, 1943, 1946-1947 & 1952). The story was that he was a favored bridge partner for Senators owner Clark Griffith.

Newsom's major league career began in September of 1929 when he appeared in 3 games for the Brooklyn Robins, losing all 3 and ending the season with a 10.61 ERA. Another 2 games with Brooklyn in 1930 would see Newsom spend time in the minors. From there his career appears like a major league travelogue with stops in Chicago (Cubs), St. Louis (Browns, 3 times), Boston (Red Sox), Detroit, Brooklyn again (1942-1943), Philadelphia (Athletics, 2 times), and both the Giants and Yankees in New York.

Newsom would finish his career having appeared in an even 600 games, finishing with a record of 211 wins and 222 losses and an ERA of 3.98. He'd appear in two World Series with the 1940 Tigers and the 1947 Yankees.

I'd always heard, and read, that Newsom was quite a jokester, the clubhouse clown loved by everyone. However the author reveals that Newsom's boisterous antics, while loved by some, wore thin on others. While he provided great copy for the sporting press, he was constantly butting heads with managers and management, hastening his departure from whichever city he was playing in at the time.

The book, while a bit steeply priced for a paperback, is well researched and provides a great background into one of the last of the "free spirits" in a time when major league baseball was much more staid and straight laced.

Bobo Newsom career record, courtesy Baseball-Almanac:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=newsobo01

Disclosure - I has no pecuniary interest in this book except as a happy customer.

https://www.amazon.com/Bobo-Newsom-Baseballs-Traveling-Man/dp/078649784X