brooklyndodgermemories

Hosted by freeforums.org
 Arcade • Chat •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:31 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>brooklyndodgermemories</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Mets and the Phillies: 2016
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:17 pm 

I might have remained a Mets' fan if I hadn't left the city in 1970, but eventually I started rooting for the Phillies when they acquired Carlton, and have stayed with them since, being rewarded with two world championships and some winning seasons. But essentially, the Phillies are the worst and losingest sports franchise in the sports history of this planet, and that is quite a distinction. To start out as a Brooklyn Dodgers' fan and to end up as a Phillies' fan is to descend the steepest of hills. I was once a happy kid watching Roy Campanella in Ebbets hit a three-run, game-winning homer in the 9th off Robin Roberts; and I recall those hideous red pin-striped uniforms that the Phillies wore. It went against all laws of physics that I would become a Phillies' fan. There weren't enough forces in the universe that could account for such a transformation. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle did not apply to the Phillies: it was not possible to root for this team, particularly after one had rooted for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Today the Phillies are indeed living down to their history. They did everything possible in their four-game series with the Mets to help them get into the playoffs. The one game they won they could have lost, too, nearly surrendering a a 10-run lead! And yesterday, the Phillies switched to a different sport with the Mets but still lost 17-0.

Oh, the sadness of it. Death, unsheathe thy sting. Put them out of their misery, and free me to root for a legitimate baseball team once again.

Post subject: Re: Mets and the Phillies: 2016
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

"Being a Phillies fan is like having a chronic sinus condition; sometimes you feel better, but not for long."

Roger Angell